Monday 8 July 2013

Phantom Custom Keyboard arrived

So my gaming keyboard I mentioned before has finally arrived.  Typing this post is the first time I'm actually using the board to type an actual message and I have to say that I'm really liking the browns as modifiers.  The slight tactility is great and I find myself exerting much less force with my left pinkie because of it.  I must also note that the most awkward thing for me at the moment is getting used to the feel of the Cherry stabilisers as opposed to the Costar's I had before. 

The Costar stabilisers give off a distinct ringing sound upon being pressed.  The Cherry's are much quieter and bring a more uniform feel to all stabilised keys.  I have yet to use them for gaming but will provide an update once I do.  I'll take it for a spin on Call of Juarez Gunslinger later today. 

The keyblockers that hoggy from geekhack sent me are almost perfectly flush with the white Filco case and match the colour exactly.  It's great to know that should I go winkeyless, this Filco case will look almost as good as a custom Korean board. 

I currently find myself using the windows key more often than I usually do due to a lot of screen splitting between programs using Win + Arrow left/right.  I opted to go with some flat keys from Pimp My Keyboard which also match perfectly, give the look of a winkeyless board, but also allow the windows and function/menu key to be pressed.

I'll try to get some mx locking keys in for Scroll and Caps Lock eventually and I'll have to figure out the firmware modification for that.

Here are the pics =D


 

   
Big thanks to these wonderful geekhack members:
  • WhiteFireDragon - I cannot thank you enough for putting it all together and proxying for me.  You are as legendary as your name suggests!
  • AriesX - I missed the initial group buy order but he allowed me to take his place, allowing this all to happen.
  • hoggy - For sending me the key blockers (and more) out of his own pocket.
  • bavman - For starting this group buy.
  • litster & PrinsValium - For designing the Phantom and allowing all us ordinary folk to have a great customisable/programmable keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment