Saturday 8 September 2012

Build 99% complete


So the last thing I needed to set up the X79 came in and I was set to move everything over.  I took advantage of having no motherboard in the chassis and nibbled away the rear grill as per ehume in the air flow thread.

The nibbler is actually quite easy to use.  The blade runs at a 180 degree angle perpendicular to the surface being cut as opposed to the 90 degrees that a pair off scissors would.
















A downside to this is that its hard to see if your cuts are neat and straight.  I made a little mess of things.  I'll just throw some U-channel moulding on this later on instead.
Line up of the PCIe cards I would be testing on the new motherboard.  The Auzentech Hometheater HD turned out to be completely dead on the analogue ports.  I was foolishly hoping it was some sort of OS error on my previous build.
The monstrous NZXT Havik 140 with stock fans replaced with a couple of pwm Xigmatek XAF-F1452.  Pretty much the same fan with some silver accents.  It also seemed a tad noisier with a mechanical whirl amongst the air movement.  At the lowest speed of 800rpm its nonexistent but at the peak of 1300rpm it is there.  Not that its incredibly audible but the difference can be observed if you are listening for it.

The 2011 mounting screws save a tonne of time with this cooler as well as there is no need for a backplate whatsoever.
Here is pretty much the final build internally, although some more lights will be added later and the cables could be managed a little better.  I was wanting a way to show off the SSD a little more but it gets covered up by the side panel anyway.







A little something I had planned to test for a long time. My Blackmagic Intensity Pro mounted into the vertical expansion slot of my chassis.  The slot is usually reserved for extra rear USB slots or fan controllers but I figured that with the size of this card, it might just work.  I used a PCIe riser to get the card to have its signal sent to the motherboard.  It works like a charm! =D














 
The side panel fitted with the original Havik 140 fan mounted to the side as an intake for the multi GPU setup.














Money shot.  I plan to use smaller cold cathodes instead of the long LED so that I can better highlight the white UV components. 

No comments:

Post a Comment